The Dangers of Electricity in Perth and the Best Safety Measures

Industrial-Electricians

Most activities depend on electric power. In fact, it is almost impossible to get anything done without electricity. However, if mishandled, it is extremely dangerous. The main hazards of electricity are shock and burns. This can lead to death or severe body damage. There are rules that we should always observe in order to ensure our safety and that of people around us. If you are experiencing any electrical emergency don’t forget to contact a reliable electrician Perth

Professional installationelectrician Perth

Always hire a licensed electrician to handle any kind of electricity installation. By this, you avoid sub-standard wiring and its dangers because a professional knows how to do it best. He will ensure that the installations meet all the requirements for everyone’s safety. It is also important to call an electrician once in a while for maintenance. This will not only help you save a lot on renovations but also identify possible electrical problems earlier.

Avoid overloading plugs

Avoid connecting multiple appliances to one plug. Plugging appliances like electric kettles and heaters in one extension lead is unsafe. This is because they are likely to exceed its maximum current rating. Overloading can lead to overheating, causing fire. How do you tell if your plug is overloaded? If the total current rating of appliances connected to a plug exceeds its stated rating, then it is overloaded. Also ensure that you connect only one extension lead per socket.

electrician PerthAvoid exposed and low hanging cables

It is important to insulate all cables both indoors and outdoors. Proper materials should be used for insulation. Materials like tape wear out fast and do not really serve the purpose. Overhead power cables should hang high enough to avoid animal or human contact. If they either hang too low or touch the ground, it is better to stay away until the hazard is fixed. You should also ensure that the objects you pass under such cables do not touch them. Before digging, find out if there are any underground cables.

Switching off appliances when not in use

All electric appliances should be switched off when not in use. When either adjusting or cleaning them, ensure that they are unplugged. If an equipment appears faulty, do not use it until it is fixed by a professional. Water conducts electricity. Always dry your hands before dealing with any electrical appliance until you are sure of its safety. Sockets should be installed away from water sources and shielded from the rain.

Child proof your home.

All electrical devices should be kept away from children. Outlets should be blocked to prevent children from inserting any objects. It is also important to educate older children on the dangers of electricity. This way, they will not play around with plugs and appliances. Do not leave cables lying on the floor. They can cause people to either trip or fall.

Dealing with electric shock

An electric current passing through the body causes electric shock. It does not always leave burns and its effects depend on the amount of current. However, it can cause psychological problems or damage to the heart.

Here is how to deal with a victim of electric shock:

Avoid touching the victim as the current can flow to your body through his. Instead, switch the supply off then check if he is okay.

If the victim has passed out, do not move him. Call for medical help immediately.

If the victim is still conscious, let him relax then take him to the ER.
It is advisable to seek medical attention after experiencing an electric shock. This helps identify any possible damage to the body.